[TowerTalk] Power lines

James Wolf jbwolf@cris.com
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 19:21:41 -0400

> 2. I did see one home on 3 acres that was of some interest, but has a
> high-tension power line tower behind it, which is within 1/4 mile. Not
> having ever experienced the results of a situation like this personally,
> and not having had any way to check it out while I was there, what might
> the onions by of those of you who have first hand knowledge of what might
> be expected relative to noise issues?

Be cautious.

I live 5/8 of a mile from 345 KV lines. Every time it rains or dews heavy,
Topband has line noise that can get as high as S9 +10-20.  The local power
company verified the source but will do nothing about it.  They claim that
it would cost in excess of $10,000 to find and fix the problem. They suspect
a cracked insulator that either a hunter used for target practice or
lightning damage.  They also claim that with that kind of voltage, some
corona is normal.

75 meters is almost tolerable and nothing else is heard on the higher bands.
Good luck,

James Wolf, KR9U
jbwolf@cris.com (hm)
jbwolf@most.fw.hac.com (wk)