[TowerTalk] What Happens When Beams Are Stacked?

k6ll@juno.com k6ll@juno.com
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 18:00:47 +0100

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998 11:41:46 -0400 "J.P. Kleinhaus" <w2xx@cloud9.net>
writes:

>Guy asks:
>
>> Where is a source of incoming angle by freq, etc? Has anyone ever
>> *Measured* incoming angles carefully?
>
>Dean Straw, N6BV, has done extensive analysis of incoming angles
>using IONCAP computer simulations for several locations in the US
>and other parts of the world.  K4OJ suggests reading "All the Right
>Angles" for an in depth treatment of the subject.  While Jim is right,
>the data can be found in a more practical way by using the software
>provided with the ARRL Antenna Book (the most recent edition anyway).
>
>Dean wrote an excellent series of programs that will graphically
>demonstrate what happens when you stack antennas. The software will
>also allow you to overlay the stacking (or single antenna) patterns
>over your terrain and the prevailing incoming angles.  It's the best
>way I've seen to demonstrate the benefits of stacking antennas.

An older version of this program, called YTAD, is available from the
arrl.org Web Site. It's great fun, and very instructional, to
spend some time with this program. It's a valuable tool for doing
the dB-per-dollar analysis that antennas and towers really all
boil down to in the end.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
San Diego, CA
K6LL@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]