[TowerTalk] Wilson Monobander

thompson@mindspring.com thompson@mindspring.com
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 18:18:20 -0400

----Chuck Sudds said

>This antenna is on a 30ft 10in boom, 2in diameter. It's brand new, in the
>box, which he did unseal for me and get out the inclosed manual. He
couldn't >find any reference to gain, FB or windloading just glancing at it
but I'd be >quite surprised it it wasn't there myself! It has a short "boom
truss" that >attaches right to the boom, so it could be mounted at the very
top of an >existing mast.
>Oh... he is asking $100 delivered to my tower site.

Good price.  Jim Wilson, who built these antennas is N7JW.  He can be
reached via his call book address.  He lives in Utah now altho Wilson
Electronics is in Nevada.   I had a 4 el Wilson 10 and a 7 el Wilson
10...that 7 el on 34' boom was a real killer.    The 6 el on 30' boom was
part of that set.

I still agree with Stan W7NI...I think you can model the beam now and get
more gain and as important ...more bandwidth.

I saw in another message that you had ( Chuck Sudds) a KT34XA.  I feel you
will find that this antenna plays about as well as the XA.  The XA was used
for the USA 10 meter record in 1988 by W4ZV (then W0ZV).

>Roger Cox at HyGain has suggested a 6-7ft spacing between this antenna and
a  >20M monobander. Any further thoughts?

Sounds right altho most say 10 feet.....

73, Dave K4JRB