[TowerTalk] Coax for crankup

Dick Green Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 01:26:23 -0400

I have an old Wilson 77 manual and they recommended dressing the coax in
loops as you did. But U.S. Tower told me not to do that on my 72' rotating
motorized tubular. The current model of my tower has several obstructions
that can snag the coax loops: a set of limit switches mounted at the top of
the bottom section and some guide pulleys for the positive pulldown cable.
They recommend letting the coax drop through the eyes in the coax arms.

Before I talked with them about that, I tried loops with LMR400UF. The coax
twisted all over the place and wandered around the tower. It looked like the
upper loops could snag on the limit switches, guide pulleys, and even the
other coax arms. I also thought one or more loops could twist enough to
tangle into a knot when the tower was raised. Since I do this remotely,
where I can't see what's happening with the coax, it just seemed too
dangerous. It only took one or two experiments raising and lowering the
tower to be convinced that it wouldn't work. I think it would work better if
the coax arms could be staggered around the tower, but that would put some
loops right where they could snag on the raising cables or pulleys. The
LMR400UF is very stiff and the jacket isn't very slippery, so it's possible
that loops would work better with RG/213 or 9913F.

Someone with a Tri-Ex triangular crankup told me that the loops generally
work on that tower, but that he had to attach ropes to the coax and
sometimes use them to pull the loops away from each other and the tower when
cranking up.

I take it that your tower isn't motorized, doesn't have limit switches or
pull-down cable guide pulleys, and that you don't raise and lower it
remotely. True? Are the coax arms staggered? Do you ever have to "help" the
loops to keep them from snagging on something as you raise the tower?

73, Dick, WC1M