[TowerTalk] Which Small Tribander for My Roof

k6ll@juno.com k6ll@juno.com
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 16:08:33 +0100

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:31:24 -0400 Jim Worthington <jimw@tstnet.com>
writes:

>Thanks, Dave. My only concerns about the KT-34A are the initial
>assembly
>time and difficulty along the the maintenance level required. What has
>been
>your experience?
>
>- Jim AD4J

The antenna is rather tedious to assemble, but the manual is
good, and you just grind through it. After you assemble the
first element half, you get the idea of how it goes together,
and the other seven halves go together a lot faster.

KLM has made a several improvements in their hardware over the
years. Current models use a heavier duty balun, UV resistant
plastic parts, and thicker gauge metal on key straps and
clamps.

Mine has been in place for 15 years now without ANY maintenance,
even with the thinner straps and clamps. The antenna is in
Yuma, AZ, which has NO ice or snow, and infrequent rain or wind,
but LOTS of UV. It has been through several thunderstorms with
winds exceeding 50 mph. One of these storms had high enough winds to
break a u-bolt on a HAM-IV Rotor mounted inside the tower, but
there has never been any damage to the antenna.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
San Diego, CA
K6LL@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]