[TowerTalk] Which Small Tribander for My Roof

Bob kf9yh@netnitco.net
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:18:22 -0500

>I've heard very good things from several people about the durability of the
>TA-33. Can anyone comment on how the Force 12 C series would compare? I'm in
>Atlanta, so icing is a rare occurence. We do get some wind, however.
>
>- Jim AD4J

Jim, I'm only 6 miles from Lake Michigan in NW Indiana, and
we have some very harsh winters here, and some very nasty
thunderstorms/high winds in the summer. I have had a C-3 up
at 45 feet for over 2 years now, and it has survived the weather
here flawlessly.

In March of 1998, we had the worst winter storm  here in 10
years. When I woke up and looked out the window, my heart
sunk. Both of the 20 meter element tips were weighed down
so heavy with ice and wet snow that they were pointing  straight
down at the ground. Other elements were at varying degrees.
On Tuesday, as the storm let up and the sun came out, the ice and
snow melted and everything popped back into place. I can find no
kinks anywhere, and everything has performed up to snuff since.

I have had up on the same tower a Moseley TA-33 and an A-3. The
C-3 has outperformed them both (By quite a margin) here at my
location. I use it for both  DX and domestic contacts, and it is a great
Sprint and NAQP antenna.

Just my opinion.....YMMV

Bob
KF9YH