[TowerTalk] 40-2CD boom guy

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj@ij.net
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 09:49:30 -0400

Brian asks:

Does a 40-2CD require a boom guy?

...it definitely needs support - either from the supplied truss arms from
below - or from a traditional cable type truss....the suggested
modifications to the beam as chronicled in W6QHS (W6NL now) book on yagi
antenna design include the act of reinforcing the central boom section...so
don't even think about going "sans-truss".

If so, how much above the antenna does the anchor for the guys need to be?

You only need a coupla feet to do the job - more distance looks more
impressive though :-)......the use of Phillystran for a boom guy eliminates
even starting to worry about if that truss is resonant and will disturb
adjacent antenna patterns.

.....just my thoughts........let see what N4KG thinks, tho!

73,

Jim, K4OJ

Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:

http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP
website@:

http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm