[TowerTalk] cranes for tower erection

DavidC davidc@bit-net.com
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 22:34:25 -0400

> > There was some recent discussion on towertalk about using cranes to
> > install towers.  I am confused by what I read.  On the one hand,
> > various people mentioned that you can't just assemble 90 feet of
> > Rohn 25 on the ground and casually lift it up into place because
> > it will bend in the middle, etc.  On the other hand, I seem to remember

I have put up two Rohn 25 towers so far, a 90 footer and a 60 footer, you
surely don't need a crane.  I put the first 30 feet up just by hauling each
section up the tower manually.  Then I attached the first set of guys.  The
rest went up using a gin pole and some helpers.

Generally you can get all of the help you need by offering to feed the
members of the local Ham club some pizza, barbeque, etc.!  There are lots
of fellows out there who just get a kick out of antenna and tower parties
.. plus many know they will need a similar hand one day.

Rohn 45 and larger is where the crane part begins to become a point of
discussion, though if I could afford a crane and new Rohn 45 I'd probably
just hire a professional tower installer and watch from the sun deck!  :-)

73, DavidC  AA1FA