[TowerTalk] cross booms for vhf/uhf antennas

Wally Klinger wklinn@hotmail.com
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:48:12 PDT

Good morning,

I am in the process of putting up a new tower, and have a question. I
intend to put up a 13 el 2 meter FM cushcraft ans 15 el 220 FM cushcraft
on the tower.  To save space (and maximize the height) I want to use a
crossboom. I was thinking of 10 feet of 1 1/2 inch galvanized water pipe
(with appropriat mast to cross boom plate) This would give me 5 feet of
separation from the mast on either side, and 10 feet from each antenna
respectfully. Is this a good idea? Too long?? Not the right type/grade
of pipe?? Any better ideas?? Apparently KLM sells a 7 1/2 foot
fiberglass cross boom (used by the OSCAR guys) Which I surmise would be
lighter. Is there enough separation here?? Or should I stay with my
origional idea?

The plan this saturday is as follows.....

Discone at 85 feet
Below it crossboom w/ 2 meter and 220 beams vertical polarization
JUST below it 6 el 440 FM beam mounted on main mast
Below this 4 el hygain 6 meter beam
Below this at roughly 71 or 72 feet, TH11DXX

Hope it stays up!

Let me know what you think!!

73's
Wally W9BEA