[TowerTalk] Projected area of Hy-Gain beams

Dale L. Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 16:31:53 -0500

. It was pretty slick and came
>from Japan where guyed towers are extremely rare. I don't know
if US Tower
>will be a dealer for this product or anything.

That's fine.  But what are you going to do when a storm is going
on, winds are below the maximums and then comes along a nice gust
that takes out your tower and antennas?

Neat additional features would be (1) a means to dial in by phone
to lower the tower, and (2) a rain detector of some sort to lower
the tower.

I experienced and was associated with the loss of a crank-up
tower and antenna array (KN5H's KT34 and 5el 10m beam, actually)
at our club station because it was just too time consuming and
hard to crank it down after running it up.  Along came a little
thunderstorm that had, somewhere imbedded in it, a gust with the
club's call on it.  The station was unattended at the time.

If the tower had had a motor on it, it would likely not have
happened because it would have been nested when not in
use.....maybe.  If it had a rain detector on it, it would have
automatically lowered itself at the first signs of rain.  (if the
antennas are in use, the operator could override the rain
detector/tower lowering command).

73,
dale, kg5u

http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html