[TowerTalk] Towers AIN'T for the birds

David Robbins k1ttt@berkshire.net
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 23:47:48 +0000

i have never seen a dead bird under my towers.  several on my deck
that must have run into the big windows, but none under the towers.
in fact the birds seem to rather like to sit on them, i have some
interesting pictures of a flock of blackbirds bending the elements
of a 40-2cd.  i have also had a variety of big birds perch on them
including red tail hawks and what was probably a young bald eagle.
and yes, there are wetlands around here and a pretty good population
of various ducks and canadian geese that i often see or hear flying
low.  maybe they should attack big windows, i used to have to go to
a place near boston that had big glass windows up about a 10 story
building.  everytime i went there i saw at least one dead bird on
the walk from the parking lot behind the building to the front.

Jim Pratt wrote:

> Interesting article in this week's edition of Wireless Week.  It says
> there is a big flap (excuse the pun) about birds running into towers and
> getting killed.  The article cites one instance in the midwest where
> something like several hundred birds were found dead after hitting a
> 490-foot-tall tower one dark, foggy night.  The Audubon Society is
> calling for more anti-tower, pro-bird regulation, the US Fish and
> Wildlife service is threatening to step in, and the FCC is "reviewing the
> matter" to see what should be done in terms of their regulations.
>
> So, be prepared for another assault on towers.  Not only do they "lower
> property values" and "cause cancer", now you are a bird killer if you put
> one up!
>
> Arrghhhh!
>
> 73, Jim  N6IG
>
> --