[TowerTalk] Flat top vs Inv Vee

Dennis Schaefer w5rz@troi.csw.net
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 22:59:44 -0500

At 11:07 PM 8/21/98 -0400, Bill Fisher - W4AN wrote:

>>Model it, and you will see the VERY small difference between an inverted V
>>DIPOLE and a regular dipole.
>
>I don't care what your computer says.  A flat top dipole will outperform an
>inverted vee dipole at the same feedpoint height EVERY time.   By more than
>a small amount.  This is my experience, and many others that I have talked
>to over the years.
>73
>Bill

I agree with Bill.  However, when I got EZNEC, the first thing I did was
model inverted vees vs. dipoles.  The difference was startling, in favor of
the flat-top dipole.  I used the same center height for the inv-vee as the
flat-top height.  As the inverted-vee center gets higher than the dipole,
the performance levels out, and bringing the ends up helps also.  Different
heights and frequencies will give vastly different results, but for the
typical 80 meter antenna up 40 or 50 feet, the difference is substantial.

73,
Dennis