[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Question

Kurt Andress ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 02:33:46 -0700

--------------8DCD90CE8174DAFA4716D3B6

Mike wrote:

> Well I was just presented with an opportunity today, maybe!
> I was called by one of the local fire departments and they want me to make
> the 60 feet of tower on their roof disappear!
> So Me being as gracious as I am, I went to look at it.
> It appears to be Rohn 25 tower with 5 straight sections and one of the
> tapered sections on the top, not sure which one, as there are two of them
> available from rohn.
> OK here is the question IF I take this tower down and If I use it guyed
> correctly, what is the windload rating at 70MPH.
> Before anyone says look in the Rohn book, I would love to, but I cannot
> seem to get one, It is paid for but it won't show up! That's another story!
>
> Mike...NO6X

Hi Mike,Until you get your catalogue, the newest Rohn diagrams say to guy a 70'
tower at 32' & 65' with 3/16 EHS. The max area (projected) of the antenna is
16.2 SqFt. mounted at the top of the tower.

My advice, on taking the tower down, is to proceed with caution and experienced
help. The age of the existing system is very important!
I got 90' of Rohn HW from the roof of a commercial building, but it was a two
day hair raising event! My big drama was getting the phased array and crossarm
off of the tower. Everything was so badly corroded, I couldn't get it off in a
controlled fashion. Ended up with the whole thing in my lap and had to hacksaw
the thing apart, piece by piece, until I could actually move and get it under
control.
Assess your situation, and consider a crane if it looks sketchy. Additional
temporary guys, an experienced ground crew, and my youth (that was then) saved
my butt!

73, Kurt

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress

--------------8DCD90CE8174DAFA4716D3B6

<HTML>
Mike wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Well I was just presented with an opportunity today,
maybe!
<BR>I was called by one of the local fire departments and they want me
to make
<BR>the 60 feet of tower on their roof disappear!
<BR>So Me being as gracious as I am, I went to look at it.
<BR>It appears to be Rohn 25 tower with 5 straight sections and one of
the
<BR>tapered sections on the top, not sure which one, as there are two of
them
<BR>available from rohn.
<BR>OK here is the question IF I take this tower down and If I use it guyed
<BR>correctly, what is the windload rating at 70MPH.
<BR>Before anyone says look in the Rohn book, I would love to, but I cannot
<BR>seem to get one, It is paid for but it won't show up! That's another
story!

<P>Mike...NO6X
<BR><A HREF="http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm"></A>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Mike,Until you get your catalogue, the newest Rohn diagrams say to guy
a 70' tower at 32' &amp; 65' with 3/16 EHS. The max area (projected) of
the antenna is 16.2 SqFt. mounted at the top of the tower.

<P>My advice, on taking the tower down, is to proceed with caution and
experienced help. The age of the existing system is very important!
<BR>I got 90' of Rohn HW from the roof of a commercial building, but it
was a two day hair raising event! My big drama was getting the phased array
and crossarm off of the tower. Everything was so badly corroded, I couldn't
get it off in a controlled fashion. Ended up with the whole thing in my
lap and had to hacksaw the thing apart, piece by piece, until I could actually
move and get it under control.
<BR>Assess your situation, and consider a crane if it looks sketchy. Additional
temporary guys, an experienced ground crew, and my youth (that was then)
saved my butt!

<P>73, Kurt
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>--
<BR>YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
<BR>Visit <A HREF="http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress">http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress</A>
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------8DCD90CE8174DAFA4716D3B6--