[TowerTalk] hitch-hiking

Kurt Andress ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 20:50:16 -0700

Mark Lowell, N1LO wrote:

>   'Hitch hiking' feels safer to me, but it really slows down the ascension
> process. Descending is faster, but still slower. And, of course, you have to
> 'dip' the guys as you go down (unhook the lanyard to cross one over the
> other). Bolts heads are a drag, too.
>
>    What do you experienced climbers think about 'hitch hiking'?

It should be obvious to all that climbing without an arrestable connection to
the tower is not a safe practice.

When I was young and invincible, I free climbed a lot. Used to descend with each
foot sliding down the outside of a leg, with descent controlled by alternating
hand movements. The lanyard was around the tower, so I cound stuff something
into the tower to stop a screwup!

Now, that I'm older and wiser, and don't like to climb really fast (it was ok at
sea level, not so good at 4800'), I always keep the lanyard around the tower. I
climb a corner, when in between guys,. This allows me to grip the two other
tower legs with 4 fingers, and the lanyard hooked between my thumbs and index
fingers, to make the lanyard movement easier. I'm a big fellow, with long arms,
so this works for me on 25G and 45G.

Bypassing guys is always safest with two restraints. I use an 18" long 1/4" 7x19
steel cable with 2 forged snap hooks nicopressed on each end. It has been
replaced twice in the last 10 years, due to wear. The wire secondary always gets
looped thru a brace during the guy bypass.The belt is a Miller 6670H, with an
extra rear strap to sit in when working in a stationary position.

Every climber has his own style and preferences. The common thread should be
that every climber, regardless of style, never makes a move without maintaining
an arresting connection with the tower.

The comments of others, regarding fall arresting ratings on rigs with long
lanyards should be observed. The shock loads of short term free falls can fail
gear that is not designed to take them.

Climb Long, and Prosper!

73, Kurt

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress