Re[2]: [TowerTalk] Mismatch Loss and Tuners

sbest@cushcraft.com sbest@cushcraft.com
Tue, 25 Aug 98 08:52:22

     I think Hank (KN6DI) has made a few good points.

     With the exception of responding to the question posted by Pete
     (N4ZR), this will be my last post on this subject for awhile.  After
     this post, I think it only fair that Walt Maxwell be given a chance to
     provide his rebuttal to my comments.  In the meantime, I have sent
     Walt a copy of my "proof" of the concepts I have outlined.  I will
     value his review, comments and opinions.

     In plain English:

     One of the objectives in the transmit system is to eliminate
     reflections arriving at the front end of the transmit circuit.  This
     can be accomplished in many ways.  The most common are to use an
     antenna tuner or to use an antenna with a feedpoint impedance equal to
     the characteristic impedance of the transmission line.

     With a matched antenna, all power arriving at the antenna will be
     delivered to the antenna with no reflections.  The significant source
     of loss in the system will be that which occurs as a result of cable
     attenuation between the transmitter and the antenna.

     To properly analyze a tuner we must first describe the initial state
     of the tuner and then develop into the steady state of the tuner.  To
     do a full analysis, voltages must be used in all calculations.  Steady
     state power levels can be determined once the steady state voltages
     are known.

     In the initial state (the state prior to reflections arriving at the
     tuner output from the antenna), the tuner will not present a 1.0:1
     VSWR at its input.  Because of this, there will be an initial
     reflected voltage present at the tuner input.  Therefore, the initial
     power delivered through the tuner to the antenna will be less than the
     total power delivered to the tuner from the transmitter.  The voltage
     (power) delivered through the tuner will then arrive at the antenna
     where some will be reflected (based upon antenna VSWR).  This
     reflected voltage will arrive back at the tuner output.  At the tuner
     output, another reflected voltage will be created based upon the tuner
     VSWR.  Note that the tuner output VSWR will not be infinite therefore,
     ALL of the voltage will not be re-reflected.  This process will
     continue until the steady state condition is reached.  In the steady
     state condition, the multiple reflections will create a steady state
     voltage at the tuner output.  This voltage will be delivered back to
     the tuner input through the tuner components.  The voltage delivered
     back to the tuner input will be the negative of the initial reflected
     voltage at the tuner input causing a complete cancellation of the
     initial reflection. Hence, the steady state 1.0:1 VSWR.

     The difference between this discussion and that of Walt Maxwell's is
     that Walt does not start by considering the initial state of the
     tuner. He immediately "assumes" that all of the transmitter power is
     delivered through the tuner, some is reflected by the antenna and then
     ALL is re-reflected at the tuner output.  His initial assumption may
     support his conclusion but it does not accurately describe the
     operation of the tuner, nor all of the voltage reflections and
     cancellations that occur.  With a lossless transmission line between
     the tuner and antenna his results are numerically correct, however, I
     am uncertain if this would be true when considering a case with
     transmission line attenuation.

     In any event, even considering the transmission line losses, the
     matched antenna will radiate more steady state power than the
     mismatched antenna and tuner.  Remember that with the tuner, the
     reflections from the antenna must travel the transmission line twice
     before arriving back at the antenna.

     Which "works" better - matched antenna or mismatched antenna/tuner?
     The answer to this question requires a much more involved analysis.
     In order to "work", the transmit system only needs to provide a
     useable signal level at the receive site.  In many cases, both will
     "work" quite well.

     73, Steve, VE9SRB