[TowerTalk] Screw Anchors

David Jordan wa3gin@erols.com
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 23:07:30 -0400

Hi Folks,

I'm getting started on a country antenna site and I've got some
questions to answer and would appreciate any inputs...

Got some figures from the Soil evaluation service for the perk test on
the property where I'm planning to install a CT-100 (100'guyed) crank up
tower and wondered if it would be useful in making the determination as
to whether I should go with earth screw anchors or concrete.  The terms
used don't mean anything to me but for what they're worth the five test
holes all read out about the same.

Texture group: I-II

Depth    Color    Texture
0-10"     BR        (10 5/3) LS
10-36    LyBR    (10 6/4-6/6)LS
36-48    BrY       (10 6/8) LS
48-60    BrY       (10 6/8) LS (coarse) w/strbr (7.5 5/6) Lamella

TRI-EX has both 6'  and 8' anchors. Sets of three go for $96 and $120.
Is there a better price to be had?

I'm planning to install a TB6EM, HB 40meter beam (2-3 elements), 12
element
2 meter beam and a turnstile for 160/75 meters. Looking for comments on
how best to stack the beams. I've considered placing the 40m beam just
above the tower while placing the TB6 about 12' above the 40M with the
2m beam in between.

The tower guy points are at 20', 51' and 98'. I plan to replace the 1/4"
steel cable at the 98' guy point with phillistran and set the 160
turnstile at one section down from the top
which would place it abou 15' below the 40m beam and 30' above the
second set of steel
guys hoping to minimize the interaction between the 160 antenna, the
second guys, and the
40m beam.

Regarding grounding. All the sections of this tower contact each other
via alloy rollers, the pull cable, and it's pulleys...unlike a bolt
together tower. Any thoughts as to the need
to improve these connections (should I run a ground cable from the top
section down to the base and ground grid?

I'm putting up a steel building for storage of farm supplies, to park
the RV and tractor. The building will be about 25'X40'X16'. I was
thinking that I might set the tower just behind the rear or off to the
side of the building. Any thoughts about pros and cons of having the
building next to the tower versus off to one side by 50-80'  would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
dave
WA3GIN