[TowerTalk] Soldering Iron Problem's

Van Sias wa7fab@cdsnet.net
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 22:00:56 +0100

Well in deference to K5RC and the other comments  think I will put in my
two cents worth on this subject, Tom.  After the times you helped me
work on my antennas when I lived on the coast thought you would buy a
butane Weller Iron.  If you are outside, regardless of the weather you
and I  face, the tip will heat up enough to solder just about anything
and if the the tip doesn't give you enough heat, take it off and use the
mini torch that comes with it.  If you spend the money for it, you will
wonder why it took you so long.  Trust me.  For in the shack soldering,
the very best in my opinion is the Weller variable temperature control
soldering pencil with several size tips on hand.  Mine will vary the tip
heat from about 350 to 850 degrees which allows me to do just about any
job from surface technology stuff to the heavy duty wire to connector
stuff.  But I still pull out the trusty weller butane unit and lite it
up for coax connectors in the house as it does a quick clean job on
them.  73  Van K7VS

PS I totally agree about the wet sponge.  I don't turn on the soldering
station without first moistening the sponge.  However, for outside work
I never use one nor have needed to for antenna wire, coax conntectors
and the like.  I watch the build up on the tip and just give the unit a
hard quick shake and go on with my work.