[TowerTalk] Soldering Iron Problem's

Stan Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 01:24:14 -0400 (EDT)

>HI All
>Today I was trying to solder some connectors on some cables for a two
>meter antenna.  It seems like everytime I pick up the soldering gun to
>use it, it doesn't work right. I have to take some pliers and loosen the
>nuts that hold the tip in and re-tighten them.  Are there any good tips
>that I can get to get rid of the problem?  I can set the gun down for a
>minute and when I go to use it again, it won't get hot again. It gets
>very frustrating.  73
>Tom W7WHY

If I had your soldering gun, I would do with it what I did with the last
three I owned:  List them on the Ebay auction and recover some money to
invest in a good, heavy duty iron.  I use three sizes of irons here.  15
watts for small circuit component work.  60 watts for heavier wiring like on
connector terminals, etc.  250 watts for PL259s and real heavy stuff.  When
you pick up one of these irons that have heated to their stable temperature,
you know exactly how it will act and how much heat you are going to get,
each time, everytime.  With a gun, it will depend upon one extra variable:
How long has the trigger been depressed?  I just can't do quality work with
a soldering gun.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com