[TowerTalk] Cage Antennas

Eric Gustafson n7cl@mmsi.com
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 08:30:13 -0700

>From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@ij.net>
>
>.....I just got an interesting piece of e-mail.......wonder what
>the group consensus is on the following idea:
>
>..the thread "centered around" using a tree as the center of a
>cage vertical.
>
>...since I live in South FL there are a LOT of these tall skinny
>Pine trees which do not have a ton of limbs on them but are
>basically a vertical log with a head on it.
>
>If that tree was to be used as the "core" of a multi-element cage
>antenna would the tree adversely affect the antennas
>performance......is it a dielectric so to speak....or would the
>antenna just appear as the outer cage of wire and the middle part
>go "un-noticed"

If you build the cage symmetrical and dense enough, the tree
should have very little effect on the antenna .  12 wires should
be plenty.  Don't let much tree stick out through the cage.

>Anyone play with this before.....
>
>If there is some validity to this I know I can think of a stand
>of pine trees which could be turned into an awesome phased
>vertical array :-)
>
>Wood, Good Gawd, what is it good for?

This is close.  But it really should be:

"Wood, Good Gawd Y'all.  What is it good for?"

Either to be true to the song or because you are living in
Florida. ;-)  Either way, the "Y'all" is required.

73, Eric  N7CL