[TowerTalk] Re: ATR-30 and Palstar tuner

w8ji.tom w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 12:18:01 -0400

A word of caution on this. Tuners have no standard power rating methods.

I have no idea what the Palstar tuner is, but Ameritron ATR-30 handles 3000
watts of actual RF output on SSB, CW and RTTY from 160 through ten meters
into a specified range of impedances, 35 to 500 ohms. It has a matching
range of 1 to 2500 ohms on all bands (except 160 meters, where matching
range is 5 ohms to 500 ohms) at reduced power.

All components in the ATR-30 safely handle rated OUTPUT powers, both on
paper and in testing, just the way it is. Guaranteed and confirmed.

I've asked the ARRL and others to establish some kind of rating standard
for years. It is long overdue. People deserve to know what they are really
buying. Advertisers exaggerate as much as possible, but no other product
gets away with such outright BS in ads as tuners.

Eh carvit emperor or whatever that saying is!