[TowerTalk] TH6 assembly

Steve Lawrence smlx@earthlink.net
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 17:05:17 -0800

I have had a TH6DXX up for over nineteen years. Before it went up, I
replaced all of the RF feed hardware with stainless steel. I also drilled
through the element to boom couplers and secured them with 3" 1/4-20 bolts
to eliminate any possibility of element rotation. The only problem I've had
is with the BN86 balun. It did last about 13 years but when it  had to be
replaced, I had the opportunity to open it up. Not pretty. Use the BN4000B
current balun which fits nicely mechanically and will handle legal power.
The only other "problem" is deteriation of the trap end caps. Lots of them
are simply gone. Wrap the ends caps with 3M #33 discussed previously on
this reflector. If you plan to op both phone and CW, use the lo-phone
settings which are similar to the "DX" settings for the newer TH7DX. My TH6
had been a work horse.

73, Steve WB6RSE