[TowerTalk] attaching guy cables

Lowell, Mark mlowell@noclant.navy.mil
Tue, 1 Dec 98 09:16:40 -0400

Hi Tim;

I gather from your comments that you are going to guy your tower with
Phillystran. I was planning an identical arrangement for my 110' Rohn 25.
My solution was to forget the equalizer plates, and use sections of EHS
from the anchors up to the turnbuckles, which would be 10 feet above the
ground. From the other end of the turnbuckle, Phillystran up to the tower.
No thimble is required at the preformed Chance anchor head. The turnbuckles
and Phillystran are out of reach of kids, vandals, and brush fires, yet
easily reached on a modest size ladder. The equalizer plates don't really
do much for you anyway.
 Pick up a LOOS tension gauge from www.championradio.com and check all
tensions individually, measuring on the EHS tails.

 After extensive modeling with NEC-WIN Basic, all day Sunday, I determined
that the interaction between the all-steel guys, the top-mounted beam, and
a long (160m with extended vertical tails) dipole would be negligible. I am
canning the Phillystran idea, as I have no plans for a mid-mounted beam. I
will gain better grounding, and better protection from trees and limbs, as
well as a big cost savings (about $875).

--...MARK_N1LO...--