[TowerTalk] Need Inverted L advice

Peter J. F. Shaw k4ldr@sunco.com
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 09:48:36 -0500

Hey Scott:

I looked at ur diagram on ur 160m inverted "L" and it is similar to my
own, except my vertical segment is only 31 feet and is suspended in a
long leaf pine tree.  That is the highest I can get without a skyhook.
I have ten unequal and various length radials totaling 1,200 feet
laying on ground surface connected to a single 10 ft copper clad
ground rod.  When first erected, I had only four radials totaling 500
feet.  Your effective earth ground will likely be more effective than
mine since a 25 ohm ground is about 130 ft deep here.

My inv "L" worked much better after I made the wire resonant and
removed the variable capacitor.  I had  a 300 mmf/.3 inch spacing cap
and that wasn't near enough either in capacitance or spacing.  Setting
the wire to resonance resulted in a min 1.3:1 SWR  with about 125 KHz
bandwidth at the 2:1 points.  Pretty wide spacing of the capacitor
plates is necessary if you are gonna run some power.

After having said all that, the inv "L"  works the best of any
previous 160m lashup I used from home before.  Your plan seems FB and
better than my arrangement.   Go for it.    Looking at your precise
Web site diagram, I would say that you are too organized and everyone
knows that half-baked antennas work better than highly planned and
well executed antennas.  Hee Hee.

CU this weekend.  Gud luk

73     Pete  K4LDR Citrus County, FL on the Gulf of Mex

Member of the Florida Contest Group (FCG) - visit our website at:
http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out
the FQP website@: http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm