[TowerTalk] Fact finding Mission....

Joel k2qbv@cyburban.com
Sat, 05 Dec 1998 11:36:29 -0500

Steve Uckerman wrote:

> After years of apartment dwelling, my wife and I have recently purchased
> a home near Fishkill, NY. Naturally, I am planning my first real attempt
> at my own tower next summer (I recently upgraded and would love to
> exercise the band selector knobs on the Collins!). I have slightly less
> than 1/2 an acre of land with neighbors.
>
> The US Tower TX series looks attractive in that it fits my antenna
> requirements, appears to be safe for our weather conditions (75 MPH
> winds, within 100 miles of a coastline) and being a crankup, neighbor
> friendly.
> (The TX series is advertised as 18 sq.ft. of antenna at 50MPH, and the
> factory says no problem with 9 sq.ft. at 75 MPH).
> Because of height restrictions (the regulations say no more than 20ft
> above the roof line), 40 ft might be my limit (I do plan to challenge
> this).
> With this in mind, I have decided on a 3 element triband quad as an
> antenna (have not decided on AntennaMart or Cubex). Although a Cushcraft
> X7  would be nice, I don't believe I would see it's maximum performance
> from a yagi with only 40ft of height.
> I've also thought of getting the tx-455 (55ft.) tower and only using it
> at 40 feet. It would appear that since the structure is not at full
> extension, I might increase my safety margin. And should I win a
> variance to go to 55ft (or move, whichever comes first !!) I'm all set
> to go.
>
> I am asking for advice on this install. Any and all comments are greatly
> appreciated (I'd like to plan this correctly from the start). Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Steve Uckerman, N2JXL
> uckerman@ns.computer.net
>
> --

Dear Steve;
Enjoyed reading your posting on the potential tower problem you may be
running into. Also read the response you received from  a "D.Rodman" in
Buffalo.

Right off the bat, let me tell you that all is not "doom and gloom" as it
may appear. I believe the experience that was related to you was a personal
one and not always the norm. I am also sure you will receive other
interesting comments from other people running into the same  problem.

I have helped other people in your area apply for a permit as we are not
very far apart being in Spring Valley,N.Y.  As a direct authorized US TOWER
DEALER for the last 14 years we have had a good education dealing with towns
and city government. I suggest that you start real slow  and not worry about
big fees and all the other things that do not apply right now and may never
appear at all..  Give me a call on the toll free # 800-HAMTOWER  or 800 426
8693 and I promise to make you feel a little more at ease.

Hope to speak to you soon...................

Joel Kornreich,K2QBV

FIRST CALL COMMUNICATIONS,INC
800 426 8693
FAX  914 357 6243
www.firstcallcom.net
e-mail;   firstcall@cyburban.com (this email comes today from my home)
(we are a direct  authorized US TOWER  dealer since 1984)