[TowerTalk] Antenna Modeling Programs

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 12:07:07 -0500

For all-purpose work, I'm a fan of EZNEC, by W7EL.  It uses the NEC-2
modeling engine, but has a user-friendly input system instead of relying on
formatted text input "cards."  The documentation is particularly good, and
the program offers automatic element taper corrections and workarounds for
wires meetinging at sharp angles, situations that test other programs.  I
particularly like the way it gives you the oppportunity to examine your
models from all angles, zoom in and out, visualize currents on conductors,
etc.

As for hardware requirements, I run it in a DOS box under Win95 on 133 and
200 MHz Pentiums, and don't find speed to be an issue, even with big
complex models (I have my entire antenna system in a single model, to pick
up interaction issues).

73,  Pete N4ZR
Loud is good