[TowerTalk] Re: towertalk

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 08:48:29 -0800

You are right Ted. The guys who do this typically use the big drill motors
with the two handles on them. They also are geared down to very low speeds.
I think the twist on the operator would be no worse than when drilling with
a large drill. If it were me, I would probably extend one of the screw in
handles to hit the ground or put a long cheater over it. At any rate, if
you can turn that little hand crank, the torque load can't be too bad. I
would certainly want to be using a worm drive winch. Thats whats on my TX
472.for tilt over. For lifting the tower, I use a floor block pulley and my
John Deer tractor to pull on the cable horizontally. When the tower is
extended, I go up my ladder and slip a piece of 3 inch channel thru the
bottom tower section at the 15 ft level and lower until the second section
from the bottom rests on it. Have been doing it this way for 14 years with
no problems. Incidentally, I leave the extension ladder against the tower
all the time. I have a small pulley at the top of the lower section with a
rope thru it. One end is tied to the top rung of the ladder and the other
end is tied to the bottom rung of the ladder or some point near the tower
bottom. When I raise or lower the tower,  I loosen the rope and move the
ladder base around so it is resting on a corner of the tower. This prevents
the ladder from getting snagged in the moving tower sections. When I want
to climb the ladder, I move the base around where the ladder top rests on
the flat side of the tower and secure the rope.
  One could put one of those U shaped attachments , like painters use, on
the top of the ladder and it would be even better. I still like the
security of the rope tie in any case. If the base of the ladder is 5 feet
or so from the tower base, this is a very safe way to get up to the
antennas and work on them