[TowerTalk] Ox-gard

Keith Berry berryk@flash.net
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 19:08:15 -0600

I have found that a good quality, thick walled heat shrink tubing will help
keep the joints sealed.  I use "No-Ox" and liberally apply it before
shrinking the tube.  This also works very well on N connectors attaching to
antennas from feedlines and clear silicone sealant.

Keith KEØFV

-----Original Message-----
From: TexasRF@aol.com <TexasRF@aol.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 16, 1998 14:37 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ox-gard

At the risk of being repetitive; the idea behind Penetrox, Ox-guard, Butter
It's Not (we call it butter snot here), etc is to exclude air from causing
oxides to form on the surface of the conductors being treated. If the
retardant is washed away by rain or evaporation or whatever, you have no
protection.

The usual application is to help aluminum wire work with copper electrical
fittings. Aluminum oxide being a poor conductor (actually an insulator) can
cause big time problems when high currents are flowing. We use these
products
to help maintain good electrical connections in our antennas. For the stuff
work properly, we have to make sure it stays in the joint. Maybe this note
will start a new thread on how to keep joints tight and weatherproof.

Any good ideas out there?

73 de k5gw