[TowerTalk] FW: Help - 80m 4 square

Joe Subich, W8IK w8ik@ibm.net
Fri, 25 Dec 1998 09:49:04 -0500

> >I use only one radial. There is not that much advantage to adding
> > more radials.
>
> Except about a ten or twenty-fold increase in efficiency! I can't
> imagine a single radial working efficiently, even over salt water.

Most people fail to realize that ON4UN's single elevated radial per
element 80 meter four square is placed above his 160 meter ground
plane.  On page 9-40 of "Antennas and Techniques for Low Band DX-ing"
John writes, "I use quite an extensive radial system, consisting of
approximately 250 radials ranging from 18 m (60 ft) to 75 m (250 ft)
in length."

On page 11-55 ON4UN writes, "While modeling the array, I found that
the quality of the ground under the array was important to the gain
as well as front to back ration at low angles."

73,
   ... Joe Subich, W8IK/4  ex-AD8I
       <W8IK@IBM.NET>