[TowerTalk] Windloading

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 16:50:23 EST

In a message dated 98-12-26 15:09:10 EST, d.dimitry@cwix.com writes:

> >> In otherwords, does 15 sq foot rating assumes the antenna is at the top?
>  >
>  >     No. The 15 sq.ft. is the capacity for the WHOLE tower, regardless of
>  >where the load(s) actually is.
>  >
Drake sayeth:

>  To the contrary, Steve, the elevation points where the antenna loads are
>  distributed do have a dramatic impact on the overall tower wind-load
>  capacity.

Greetings, engineers, semi-engineers and other TowerTalkians -

     My tower loading remarks were expanded in a subsequent post to say that I
was commenting on Rohn towers and the Rohn tower capacity spec. Anything else
you or anyone else wants to propose or infer is up to you.

      I am not an engineer and have never made any claims to specs or
calculations. I only go by what the manufacturer says because if you follow
them, you'll never get yourself in trouble. Drake, you as a manufacturer can
state anything you want because the implication is that it is all backed up by
engineering and manufacturing standards.

      I prefer, and suggest others, to err on the side of over-engineering
and/or under-loading. (And follow the manufacturers specs.)

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC