[TowerTalk] Coax connectors and aluminum braid

W7NN@aol.com W7NN@aol.com
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 23:20:56 EST

In a message dated 12/27/98 9:55:18 PM EST, henrypol2@juno.com writes:

<<
 I have some 75 ohm RG11 that I want to use below 30 MHz; however, the
 braid wires are aluminum.  I had hoped to use standard PL259s, but have
 not had any experience with trying to solder aluminum wires to the PL259
 shell.  Anyone solved this problem before?  Is my only option those
 crimp-on CATV "F" connectors?

 BTW, the center conductor is copper-coated, so no problem there.  And to
 complicate things a little more, the braid is flooded with that "sticky
 stuff" that prevents moisture from getting to the aluminum foil shield

Henry:

I use a bunch of the stuff to feed the vertcals in the 4-square array.

It's not pretty, but solder the center conductor the the center pin of the
pl-259, and use a small stainless steel hose clamp to clamp the braid to the
outside of the connector.  Use lots of anti oxidant and seal the connection
with "Star Brite" liquid electrical tape.

Works like a champ.

73

Ron
HamStuff by W7NN