[TowerTalk] Failures due to preventative maintenance?

Dick Green Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 20:01:02 -0500

There's certainly a possibility that more frequent maintenance can increase
the probability of failure, but, like many observations based on statistics,
the numbers can be misleading. For example, sometimes post-maintenance
failures would have happened anyway, sooner or later (due to worn out or
faulty parts that were not fixed or repaired during maintenance, or due to
additional stresses caused by the maintenance that accelerated an otherwise
inevitable failure.)

On the other hand, it would be foolish to replace crank-up tower cables and
pulleys too often. The procedure itself can be dangerous, non-related parts
can be damaged, and costly mistakes can be made. However, one problem is
that it may be very difficult to detect when replacement is required: parts
of the cable and pulley may not be visible without going through the
disassembly required for replacement. You can go with the tower
manufacturer's recommendation on how often to replace the cables, but that
could be overly conservative. After all, their instructions have to cover
the worst case, like installations near salt water (U.S. Tower says cables
should be replaced every three years -- I wonder how many people actually do
that!)

I think the only sensible alternative is a thorough inspection on a regular
basis (every 6 months, minimum), at which time a light-to-moderate
lubrication should be done (uh, I guess that's what K7LXC said...) I don't
think there's a hard and fast rule, but I suspect people in relatively
moderate climates can go five years between replacements. Weighing the
effort, money, and potential for error of this procedure, this interval
doesn't seem too short. The alternative could be a lot worse.

73, Dick, WC1M