[TowerTalk] 402CD - Does it need a balun?

Dick Flanagan dick@libelle.com
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 21:08:48 -0800

>Well, it wasn't the loading coils, but the balun, a W2DU current
>balun.  It was reading a very high NEGATIVE resistance on my Fluke 77
>(can anybody tell me why it was NEGATIVE?), so I figured it was
>history, and took a hacksaw to it.  When I cut the top off, a whole
>lot of BROWN WATER came out.  Upon inspection, I could find absolutely
>no way for water to get either in or out of the balun, save for the
>center pin on the UHF connector.

Interesting.  I used a W2DU "Beam Balun" produced by Unadilla on my 402CD
and the balun has two drain holes drilled in the bottom side of the tube.
I guess now I know why.

>So, can anybody recommend a good current balun to use with the 402CD,
>or is one even needed?  Why can't I just follow the directions in the
>manual and make a coil of coax?

I'm sure you can use a coil of coax, but the W2DU is simply a better balun.
Whether you or I or the antenna can actually perceive the "betterness" of
the W2DU is, of course, debatable.

My suggestion would be to go with another W2DU balun, but this time get one
with drain holes.

Good luck and 73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09db (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.qsl.net/w7di/