[TowerTalk] BX/HDBX type towers

Patrick Croft mai@iquest.net
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 15:25:18 -0500 (EST)

Hi Dave,
A couple comments on your post and a FYI file (or the delete).

I pulled a couple older Rohn Handbooks (1972, 1978) and both showed the 10
foot boom limit statements.
Thus, not really a 'recent restriction'.   Based upon conversations with the
Rohn factory staff and personal experiences I fully agree with the limit.
The BX, HBX, and HDBX are ALL ASSEMBLED ALIKE - and in that assembly method
is the weakness.  An ALUMINUM rivet is used to secure the stamped steel
cross bracings to the stamped steel legs.  Under twisting conditions, which
a long boom type antenna amplifies, these rivets are subject to shearing.
The steel acts like a pair of sissors on the rivets.  In an effort to limit
this from being an issue the 10 foot boom limit has been noted for about
three decades.   These rivets are the reason one shouldn't sandblast or
pickle/acid bathe these towers during reconditioning as well.

The basic history is on target about Spalding being the original producer of
the BX line.  Spalding's fab plant was located in Frankfort, Indiana.  The
company actually was a producer of steel farm accessories (gates, panels,
tanks, etc).  The TV growth( & need for antenna supports) was a great
additional market (to become a primary market) for the grain auger supports
and lighting towers they made.  I'd wager a cold Coors that some of those
towers in the rural areas holding grin tubes and old school athletic field
light towers are over fifty years old.  In the sixties Rohn purchased the
operation, dubbing it Rohn-Spalding.

Today Rohn uses the Frankfort plant for the production of the Rohn 25 tower
sections, along with farm gates, animal stalls, and accessories.  Up until
this fall it was from the same Spalding plant.  In the 4th quarter their new
building was completed and Rohn moved about a mile away. They have stopped
production from the old Spalding plant, and they welcome your offer for the
property.  I suggest asking for a Environmental impact warranty, but thats
another issue!

Bests

Patrick
W9GTA