[TowerTalk] Quad Mounting -Reply

James.E.Brown@LRD03.usace.army.mil James.E.Brown@LRD03.usace.army.mil
20 Feb 1998 13:06:17 Z

Hi Landen,

Dont worry about half of the quad being below the top of the tower
or mast.  That's the way mine is (Lightning Bolt 5-band, 2-element)
and it doesn't affect it at all.  In fact, it requires no tuner anywhere on
any of the bands, with the SWR being below 1:1.5 at any point on
any band.

I also have a 4-element 2Meter quad mounted inside the big quad,
on the same mast right above the mast/boom clamp of the big quad,
and a dual-band VHF/UHF vertical at the top of the mast, which is
also inside the top half of the big quad.   These other antennae also
do not affect the big quad at all.  I also use a single feedline for the
big quad, with the manufacturer's single-connection transformer.  I
can recommend it, as it works for me.  However, you will get an
argument from some that separate feedlines for each band is better.  I
would not want that hassle with 5 feedlines and remote switches, etc.
You can see a picture of my installation on the cover of the April
1997  73 Magazine.

Jim     W4LC
>>> kc5qdz@iamerica.net 02/20/98 12:05am >>>
Well I got such an overwhelming response abt antenna
recommendations
that said go with the quad, I have decided I am going to start
planning
for the project. I have called many of the manufacturers, and have
gotten mixed answers to the following question so I am posting it
here
for some real world advice:-)  If I mount the quad where abt half of
the
loop is hanging below the top of  the tower instead of being all the
way
up and in the clear. Will this affect the swr & performance?? I can not
put that much of an antenna too far up my mast. Hopefully I can
mount
it right abv the top of the tower. And have some of it below the top.
Thanks AGN !!!
Landen
KC5QDZ@IAMERICA.NET

--