[TowerTalk] Coax info-SPEC REPLY

DavisRFinc@aol.com DavisRFinc@aol.com
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 14:46:41 EST

Bill, ref your need for specs for Comm/Scope 3222:  As I thought, it is a
discontinued item, but that's not an evil, as this item should have a quite
long shelf life.  Also, it is a Polyeth jacket as I expected, with floodant
(seals itself if cut into beyond the outer PE jacket).  The specs are:  RG8,
50 ohm, foamed PE dielect, 90% shield, .106" center cond and .405 OD (both ok
for PL259 or N), 23.5 pf/ft capac.  4.23 to 5.17 (min to max) db/100 ft @ 500
MHZ; 6.25 to 7.63 @ 1 GHz (sorry, no spec on < 500 MHz), Veloc Prop 84.0% nom,
DC Resis (conductr) .92 ohm/mft (+-2%) and shield: 3.05 ohms/m" (+/- 10%).
the high end rated loss looks pretty good to me so I suspect the HF
atttenuation might be better than a quality comparative, partly due to the
solid conductor and foamed PE dielectrict.  Suspect it's a bit stiff vs. most
other stranded RG8. Looks good to me as a 50 ohm flooded cable. So, have at
it!  Regards, Steve Davis, K1PEK, DAVIS RF Co.
<< Bill, my guess for now is that this is a discontinued item (not in my
 reference material), not that this would be a negative indication; however if
 so, your cable could be somewhat old.  I will know further on Monday.  I
 question if it is type II, probably is type III and is polyethylene (would be
 a lot denser than type II (PVC): you could tell be trying to cut its jacket
 with a sharp knife or razor and compare its cutability to a PVC cable (8X,
 RG213, 58, 214, etcpvc, if PE it should be much harder to cut than PVC.  type
 II PVC should not be buried but type II PE is buriable.  Will le you know
more
 on Monday.  Steve Davis, K1PEK, DAVIS RF Co. DAVIS RF Co., Div. of Davis
 Associates, Inc.,
 DAVIS RF Co., Commercial wire/cable, RF connectors, custom cable design.
 Discounts to hams.  BURY-FLEX ™ low loss HF-microwave HDPE coax;
 WEAVE™ aerial wire. Registered trademarks of Davis Associates, Inc.
 visit our web site @ www.davisRF.com.  1-800-328-4773 (800 DAVIS RF)