[TowerTalk] erection

K7LXC K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 10:47:48 EST

In a message dated 98-01-06 19:29:10 EST, n6ig@netcom.com writes:

>   A pier pin/base plate somehow seems easier to deal with than
>  worrying about making a base section plumb.  The only drawback is the
>  requirement of having to put temporary guys on the first tower section
>  when the tower is being erected or dismantled.

     This is a BIG drawback. You need to have excellent rigging skills and the
right tools in order to install safe temporary guys. These are rare
commodities in amateur circles. I discourage anyone from following this route
unless you have both.

     For big tower loads, a pier pin base does an excellent job of equalizing
the compressive leg forces. (This may be somewhat illusory as the flat tower
base has to sit on the concrete pad which is never perfectly flat anyway.) For
relatively low to moderate tower sizes and loads (typical ham installation),
IMO it's not worth worrying about - put the bottom section in concrete and go
up from there. It's easier and safer.

73,  Steve   K7LXC