[TowerTalk] Tower Lubrication

Mike Walker mwalker@geronimo.legato.com
Wed, 07 Jan 1998 16:50:16 -0500

Hi Ed

Not sure why Nasa did it (nor was I aware), but it does dry and it is used
more as a cleaning agent.  For cables and such, where you need the "grease"
on the cable, this would not surfice.  I'm sure the manufacturer's have
better reasons for this than I do.

I've worked on a lot of moving machinery, and when it first came out, it
got rid of the squeak, only to return later.  Upon further research, I
noticed that it wasn't a lubricant.  I know it has its  place, just not
sure where.

Mike

This is what I found on a web page:

      Loosens rusted parts, penetrates deep.
      Keeps parts from freezing up, keeps controls & linkages working
smoothly.
      Protects metals against moisture and corrosion, leaves a barrier.
      Displaces moisture, gets under water, drives it off and keeps it off.
      Dries out electrical equipment, non-conductive.
      Stops squeaks, deep penetration, no mess or gummy residue.
      It really is the one shot application, its the "troubleshooter".

At 05:24 AM 1/08/98 -0800, K4SB wrote:
>Well, a lot of opinions on WD-40. Now, if it's not a lubricant, why did
>NASA coat the nose cone tiles of the shuttle with it? According to
>"Jeprody" of a couple weeks ago, it was to decrease the initial friction
>of the Earth's atmosphere.
>
>They may still do it.
>
>And that is all I have to say.
>
>73
>
>Ed
>
>--

Michael K. Walker                   Legato Systems (Canada) Inc.
Escalation Management                     3390 South Service Road
(905) 637-4738                                    Burlington, ON
http://www.legato.com                                    L7N 3J5
pager:  1480111@pagemart.net