[TowerTalk] Interesting crank-up failure story

Roger Borowski - K9RB wa9eka@worldnet.att.net
Sat, 10 Jan 1998 09:19:57 -0500

Hi Joe,
I was not aware that US Tower was using 1/4" cable over 3 1/2" dia. pulleys!
Maybe that's why I've heard of a few relatively new US Tower towers crashing
because of cable failure. I've never seen one up close and just thought they
(crank-up mfgs.) all used 3/16" cables. Maybe thats why I saw somewhere on
the reflector that someone said that US Tower's recommendation for changing
the cables is 3 years! That may be the reason for  this recommendation!
They're "system" maybe was not "engineered" correctly if they are, in fact,
using 1/4" cable over 3 1/2" dia. pulleys and it can and will cause early
fatigue failure of the cable, if this is fact.
My failure occurred in less than 2 years, but with all due respect, I had a
lot of stuff up top. 24' mast, HDR300, TH6DXX, Discoverer 7-3 (3 ele. 40m),
DW-3 (warc), 3 VHF beams, VHF vert., and 7 runs of coax. All in all, close
to 30 sq. ft. wind load. I'm also sure that all this "above and beyond what
the average ham does" with one of these towers and the excessive weight was
a big contributing factor to its early demise. Thats exactly why I theorized
that 1/4" cable should provide me with the safety advantage I was looking
for.
Maybe US Tower is experiencing complaints of cable failures in the above 3
years old average range, thus they're recommendation. These early failures
can most likely be eliminated by either changing the pulleys to something 5"
dia. or greater, which would be a difficult redesign chore, or simply going
to 3/16" cable. As you can see from the breaking strength data I've
provided, 3/16" cable is very adequate for the job and will then be
operating with the proper, more than minimum diameter pulley, to provide for
longer service life. I hesitate to recommend or say that US Tower has a
design flaw in they're choice of cable, or that anyone who has 1/4" cable
running over less than 5" dia. pulleys should consider changing to a smaller
cable, but I'm just stating the facts as I know them and from my
investigations and experiences.  73, Roger - K9RB