[TowerTalk] pipe masts

TOMK5RC TOMK5RC@aol.com
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 19:22:24 EST

Nowhere will you find accurate structural data on schedule 40 pipe because it
was designed to move liquids and gases, not to support anything. Most of us
have "gotten away with" using water pipe, black pipe, aluminum tubing and even
PVC tubing for applications which they are inappropriate. Just because it
"looks and feels good," you may be headed for disaster.

At the very least, I would use structural steel tubing or chrome moly tubing.
Ideally, I would find a mechanical engineer to do the calc's for you to let
you know what yield strength you will need for the application you intend.

Bent mast is one of the most dangerous problems to resolve in hamdom.

Tom, K5RC/7