[TowerTalk] Mixing different coaxs

K7LXC K7LXC@aol.com
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:25:53 EST

In a message dated 98-01-19 00:22:20 EST, jccrtv@jccrtv.com writes:

> I have 9913
>  going from the shack out to the tower site. I don't want to run the 9913 up
>  a crank up because it's probably too rigid and would be damaged from the
>  lowering/raising motion.

    First, there's no such thing as a dumb question on TowerTalk.

   9913 uses a solid center conductor and should not be flexed repeatedly like
up and down on a crankup or on a rotation loop from an antenna to the mast. It
may eventually crack and break. The new 9913F (flexible) has a stranded center
conductor and can be flexed to your heart's content.

>Can I use RG-213 or 8 from the antennas down the
>  tower and connect it to the existing 9913 that goes up to the shack? I've
>  never mixed coax before, hence my question: Is there a problem with
velocity
>  factor/or capacitance/or signal loss mixing coax?

     For all practical purposes on HF, it doesn't make any difference.
Velocity factor becomes important if you want a specific electrical length of
coax but for general purposes you can ignore the differences. Also connecting
two pieces of coax with a barrel connector is no big deal either. As long as
you properly weatherproof it, it'll work just fine and the loss on HF is
insignificant.

73,    Steve   K7LXC