[TowerTalk] Stacked tri-banders vs. Single mono-banders

Gary Myers gmyers@cetlink.net
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 20:27:23 -0500

J.P. Kleinhaus wrote:

  A 2-stack of 3 element monos (20 meters) with 50 foot spacing
> will cream your TH-7's all day long (given the same terrain etc.).

I respectfully submit the evidence suggests otherwise! Most modern
longer boom tribanders are pretty efficient compared to a 3 el yagi. I
would suspect they are no more than 1/2 db down typically. A 2 stack at
35' spacing would not be that much below a 3el stack at 50' spacing
(modeling says ~1/2db at best). This is less than 1 db total! This
difference, taken alone, is insignificant in ANY pileup and contest. If
one where to say add the 1 db for monos and push the power limit by
1-1.5db and use lowest loss coax the differences start to amount to
something that is apparent in a contest situation. But just the antenna
alone when the amount of hardware is considered (towers, feeds, guys,
etc) and the fact that you get THREE bands says stacking tr-banders is a
very nice way to go. My plan is to stack three of the new X9's (if they
are ever available).

G.,  K9RX

PS: to those that are interested CC has told me that they will start
shipping the X9's in the next week or two and the X940 add on kit
shortly after that.