[TowerTalk] thanks for 25/45 comments

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 02:08:45 EDT

In a message dated 98-06-30 22:31:54 EDT, designserv@ipass.net writes:

> > If you're talking about using 2 screw-
>  > ins per anchor, that should give you enough capacity.
>
>  OH?  Under what conditions?  The load on a screw anchor is
>  distributed through a volume of soil.  Just how far apart in which
>  direction were you going to spread these so the affected volumes
>  do not overlap?  How were you going to share the load and what
>  does that do to the axes of the screw anchors?
>
>  I think screw anchors are alright if they are properly imbedded in
>  enough concrete.  Have seen too many fail when soil got wet and they
>  were not in concrete.  Don't like them. Don't trust them.  Period.

       I'm not a fan either. My statement was based on the fact that if one is
rated at 2500 lbs., then two must be rated somewhere around 5000 lbs. Since
3'16" EHS has a breaking strength of 4000 lbs., that might be in the range of
the capability of two properly installed screw-in anchors.

     Or not.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC