[TowerTalk] Elevated Radials

Jan L. Ditzian ditzian@greenepa.net
Wed, 01 Jul 1998 13:54:53 -0400

Carsten Esch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know there was a lot of discussion about this matter in the past...
> I have one lambda/4 vertical with burried radials in the moment and want
> to put up a second with elevated radials for comparision.
>
> 1. What is a recommended hight for the base of the vertical
>    (assuming to have it mounted on a 'pole' and the radials
>     going horrizontal to other poles)
> 2. Should the radials resonant for the desired frequency or is
>    that not necessary?
> 3. any other comments or suggestions?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Carsten - DL6LAU

Carsten,

I cannot make a recommendation for the best vertical, but I have
found that an 80-meter lambda/4 vertical with the base about 2
meters high and eight lambda/4 radials works better than a
ground-mounted vertical with up to 28 of the same kind of
radials.  At this height you can put the radials in trees with a
short ladder or by hand, and walk underneath them.

If I could go higher, I would and stick with lambda/4 radials.

73,
Jan, KX2A