[TowerTalk] A Question about Mast Tubeing

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 23:27:38 EDT

In a message dated 98-07-01 23:08:16 EDT, gscholten@michamber.com writes:

> These mast are all good but you might consider using 1-1/2" Schedule 80
>  pipe.  It is quite a bit thicher than sch 40 pipe and uses a higher
>  grade of steel.

     PIPE is rarely suitable for mast material. (This particular installation
being one of the exceptions since the big beam is mounted right above the
bearing and the top antenna is a 2M vertical.)

     Nonetheless, pipe is NOT rated for strength. It's designed to carry
liquids.

     Check the TowerTalk archives (http://www.contesting.com/_towertalk/) for
more info. Read Leeson's chapter on masts in his "Physical Design of Yagi
Antennas". Send me a buck and I'll send you  a reprint of the W7NI article on
masts (Tower Tech, Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072).

     For demanding applications, carbon steel tubing is the only suitable
material.

     Higher grade of steel?

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC