[TowerTalk] KLM-40M4

Pete Raymond n4kw@citrus.infi.net
Thu, 02 Jul 1998 07:54:05 -0700

David Jordan wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Thinking about buying subject antenna. New in the box for $500. Would
> appreciate any
> comments regarding performance (or comparisons), reliability, etc. It
> will be mounted on a
> crank-up tower (CT-100) so it won't be up in the air during bad weather
> if I can remember to crank it down 50ft.
>
> thanks,
> dave
>
> --
Hi Dave,  $500. is a very attractive price compared to the price of a
new
one.  However, there are the concerns that you have raised, reliability.
I have their 3el and last weekend took it down for the third time.  I
have had to replace the Lexan (sp) boom to element supports, pop rivit
the jumpers on the linear loading arms as they just will not stay tight.
And this time I found that the nuts that hold down the other ends of
the linear loading arms had come loose.  At least one nut on every
element which allowed the linear loading arm to be intermittent at low
power and on receive.  When applying the linear amp the vswr looked ok.
Any way when all is working with this antenna it performs
very well.  I bought it used for $175.00 I guess that speaks for someone
else's frustrations.  I have additional hardware to repair it but I'm
on the fence of should I buy a Cushcraft or put this thing back up.
Now I did not talk about repairing other parts of the driven element
as the antenna is on a PVRC mount and I can pivot it and work on some
parts of the antenna up on the tower.
Sorry for being so long winded.  Your call. GL 73 Pete N4KW Inverness,
Fl.