[TowerTalk] Cushcraft U-bolts

TOMK5RC@aol.com TOMK5RC@aol.com
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 09:30:12 EDT

In a message dated 7/1/98 11:21:02 PM Central Daylight Time, nw9g@netusa1.net
writes:

> Just came down from removing my 2 meter 10 element cushcraft yagi.
>  The U-bolts broke backing off the nuts.  It sure made life at 100

I used a couple of Cushcraft U bolts on my KT34A (stolen from my 2 meter
beams). They also galled badly. One of the myths in our hobby is that
stainless steel (300 series and 18-8) is the magic answer to everything.
Unfortunately, Stainless has a bad habit of the threads deforming and galling,
especially if they get some aluminum shavings mixed in. The best defense is to
use Grade 8 cap bolts with appropriate clamping devices, such as Hy-Gain boom-
to-mast clamps. Fortunately, these days, better hardware stores are carrying
grade 5 and grade 8 bolts that are zinc plated or galvanized.

Tom, K5RC