[TowerTalk] Tower Collapse Photos now Available

Jerry Flanders flanders@groupz.net
Sun, 05 Jul 1998 15:09:03 -0400

At 01:09 PM 7/5/98 -0400,  <k3gp@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>The photos of the K8DX tower collapse on 6/30/98 are now linked from my home
>page,
>http://www.qsl.net/k3gp
>
>_

Ouch - hurts just to look!

The photo of the base (lower left thumbnail) shows some sort of sleeves
attaching the lower section to the base, and the leg separation appears to
have occurred at the sleeve junction, perhaps inside it at the bolt hole of
the piece of mast set in the concrete.

I am a tower newbie, and hadn't seen sleeves used like this before -  is
the use of sleeves a standard method?

Are the tower ends simply butted up against each other inside the sleeve,
or is this a conventional telescoping fit with the sleeve as additional
reinforcement?

Jerry  W4UK