[TowerTalk] X9 40 m add on kit

sbest@cushcraft.com sbest@cushcraft.com
Fri, 10 Jul 98 15:56:50

     Thank you for all your comments. Good and bad.

     ** Pete Smith (N4ZR) wrote:

     >     As far as the X940 being only a single element - our engineering
     >     effort was lead by Danny (T93M) who designed both the X7 and the
     X9.  >     He tried to implement a two element solution but it was not
     >     significantly better than a single element and it degraded the
     X9 >     performance on the other bands.  We were not willing to make
     the
     >     performance sacrifice on the other bands and we were not willing
     to >     provide an inferior two element solution.

     Gee, Force 12 can do it (C4XL).

     ** Scott Bullock (KA1CLX) wrote:

     Somebody obviously put the cat out of the bag way too soon to have all
     the advertising done for 2 elements. This should have been tried and
     tested before it was printed for the general population. I liken this
     to General Motors distributing sales flyers for a battery car that
     goes 1,000 miles between charges. (suppose it could be done, but the
     drawbacks would be tremendous)

     I'm just glad I didn't buy a few of these and put them up on my tower
     planning to upgrade them to 2 el 40's later on. I think I would be a
     little unhappy too!

     ** Jim Miller (K4SQR) wrote:

     So based on this, I feel betrayed and will try to sell the X9 and buy
     a Force-12 with the 40 meter version included.

     Pete, we could have done it too.  However, with the X9 configuration
     optimized as a tribander, the 2-element kit did not offer significant
     performance improvement over a single element to justify its price to
     the amateur community.  It also degraded performance on the other 3
     bands.  As for Force 12, I know Tom Schiller personally and respect
     him for what he has accomplished with his company.  I will not involve
     myself in comparisons between our products on this reflector.  The X9
     performance and construction are both excellent and stand on their
     own.

     Scott, your right.  A faux pas on our part - Art and myself included.
     Spin control?  More like honestly talking to your customers.  Why do
     people always remember and comment on your mistakes and never the
     other great things you do?  Oh, well.

     Jim, too bad you feel this way.  The X9 is a fantastic antenna even
     the X940 add on kit.  In fact, people using the X740 love it.  BTW, I
     am sure you will be able to find a very happy buyer for your X9.

     Considering the performance and price difference between the
     2-element and single element add on kit, this is the best thing for
     Cushcraft to do at this time.  We could have gone ahead and sold the
     2-element kit at the higher price.  Honestly, nobody would have ever
     known the performance difference and everybody would probably have
     been satisfied. Except me.  I prefer to do the right thing by my
     customers.  Anyone that actually tries an X9 and X940 will be quite
     satisfied.

     For the record, this will be the last official response from me on
     this subject.  Our position has been clearly outlined and our
     decisions have been made in the best interests of Cushcraft and the
     amateur community.

     73
     Steve Best
     Cushcraft Corporation.