[TowerTalk] Big Grip tension?

J.P. Kleinhaus w2xx@cloud9.net
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 11:22:38 -0400

Greetings:

Well, 70 feet of the AB-105 is up, and I hope to finish the whole
thing (120') by the end of the month.

I have one question though.  I was looking through the PiRod Tower
catalog this morning and ran across their recommendation for tensioning
guys when using Big Grips dead ends.  The catalog says to tension
the grips to 1000 lbs *OR* 10% of guy wire breaking strength, whichever
is GREATER.  I'm using 1/4" EHS on all three guy levels, and have
tensioned the existing guys to 600 lbs according to my Loos (e?)
gauge.  This is was I was taught to do.

The instructions that came with my Big Grips didn't mention anything
regarding the proper tension (at least I didn't see it).  So, what
is the story?  Should I leave them at 600 lbs, or kick it up a notch
with the turnbuckles??

73, J.P. W2XX
J.P. Kleinhaus, W2XX  (fdba AA2DU)
E-mail:  w2xx@cloud9.net

As we say in the software business:  "You are hosed."