[TowerTalk] Re:Seperating aluminum tower

ROBKEL@aol.com ROBKEL@aol.com
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 23:53:55 EDT

Bill:
I have a Heights tower that I have had down only once in its 30 yr life.
Had a problem then and wound up damaging some welds trying to part it.
Since then I have thought many times about how to tackle it next time,
although I did use penetrox the last time it went together (10 yrs ago).
Try this (it is only a theory, but with a more vigorous use of the heat you
have already tried):
Because aluminum is such a good conductor, and the corrosion is not, this
might work.  Use  ice (or dry ice in a  bag), lashed in reasonably good
contact on the INSIDE tube of the joint, and your propane torch on the outside
tube. The large differential temperature should make the inside tube shrink
and the outside tube expand, perhaps enough to break it loose. Repeat on other
two legs. Once free, the legs should be able to be moved, a bit at a time, on
apart.
Let me know how it turns out!

Bob, W5LT